Indian Springs Elementary School is located in Sullivan County in the Indian Springs Community, which is a growing community between Kingsport and Blountville. Indian Springs, previously called Edgeworth, obtained its name from the many springs in the area where the Cherokee Indians had settled
The first school, called Liberty School, was a log building built in 1853. It was used for school and church. In 1875, the log cabin was replaced with concrete blocks. The school was than re-named Liberty Academy, which was located at the corner of what is now Hill Road and Fieldcrest Drive. In 1913, James E. Miller and his wife, Bertha, sold two acres to the Sullivan County Board of Education for $200.00. The Board paid 75% of the cost and #352 of Lodge I.O.O.F. of Indian Springs paid the remainder with the agreement that the Lodge was to have certain priviledges with free meeting rooms. The school was a two story, square building with an archway over the entrance. By 1924, the block building was replaced with a brick building and the school was renamed Indian Springs Elementary. It had a staff of four teachers. Students who had attended Sullivan School and Droke were transferred to Indian Springs.
By 1965, Gunnings School, Woodrow School, and Sunnyside School had closed their doors and consolidated with Indian Springs School. A renovation of the original building called for the addition of eleven classrooms, a cafeteria/gymnasium, library, and administrative offices. When dedication ceremonies were held in September of 1965, Indian Springs Elem was the school in the county with thermo controlled heating and cooling systems. Further improvements and additions were made to the structure in 1969 and 1972. Improvements are contually taking place to provide an attractive and updated facility for our children. Just recently the school was wired for internet access in classrooms. Also, a TV studio was created to broadcast daily in all the classrooms. Additional land has been purchased over the years. The school site now sits on over a ten acre area.
Indian Springs is one school in the Sullivan County School System. There are 16 elementary schools, 8 middle schools and 4 high schools. Our school is one of the largest elementary schools in the County System